Saturday, February 17, 2007

Grizzly Bear

Please tell me this image disappeared.

Grizzly Bear played Neumo’s last night to a near sold-out crowd. I was supposed to meet up with a couple friends, but the place was so packed and the timing not-quite-right, that I never did get to see them. But that’s ok, because the band killed. Amazing 4-part harmonies amidst bitter-sweet lyrics and melodies drove a near-perfect set. It was a short one (under an hour), but that’s ok with me; my feet get tired easily in my old age.

Speaking of, even though they had the under-21 crowd carefully cordoned off on the left side of the stage, the 21+ crowd felt especially young to me last night. Not sure if the band (of which, the bass/woodwinds/electronics/vocalist Christoper Taylor is from Seattle and had a big gathering of friends and family in the audience) has an especially young following, or if I’m just getting old. I’m pretty sure it’s the former.

There really wasn’t a bad song in the set. “Colorado” was great. And even the song with harmonized whistling. They played a cover of a Crystals (can’t find any info about that band) song called “and then he hit me” which sounds about as nice as it really is. It’s about a woman who enjoys being hit by her beau. A poor subject, for sure, but it makes for a good cover.

I expect great things from these guys in the future. Stay tuned.

0 comments: